Halloween is a fun, magical time for kids (and adults!). To help ensure this day is fun and safe for everyone, we have compiled some tips for you and your family.
- Always walk in groups and have your kids go trick-or-treating with a trusted adult if you cannot accompany them. Never let children go alone.
- Make sure costumes are visible at night. You can use reflective tape, glow sticks, or choose bright colors for all costumes.
- Avoid masks as much as possible specially for young children as these can hinder their eyesight and even make breathing difficult.
- Walk only on sidewalks and use a flashlight so you can see clearly where you are going.
- If using make-up on your children make sure to test a small area first in case of allergies.
- Use insect repellent before going out as nighttime in Florida is when mosquitoes are more abundant.
- Review important information with your children such as how to call 911 and what to do if you get separated or if they have an emergency while trick-or-treating.
- Carefully inspect all candy and other goodies and discard any items that look to be tampered, opened, or suspicious.
- To avoid a sugar over-load, give kids a proper filling meal before you go trick or treating and discuss a plan for portioning out the treats so they last longer.
- When driving always obey the speed limits, drive safely and be extra wary of pedestrians, especially small children.
- At home, you can help others who are trick-or-treating by making sure all walking areas are well lit and removing any debris or obstacles from all walking areas.
For more Halloween safety tips, you can visit HealthyChildren.org.
Wishing you and your loved ones a happy and safe Halloween!