The new school year is quickly approaching, which means a whole new drove of students is preparing for their first year of college. Typically, this can be an emotional and hectic event but there are some steps you can take to make things go smoothly.
Below we give you some tips to help make move-in day easier and less stressful for both parents and students.
- Dorm rooms can be small and cramped so only worry about the essentials.
- Look into space saving items like bed risers, collapsible storage containers, and folding tables or bean bag chairs.
- Most colleges and universities provide all the basic furniture like a bed and desk. Check out the dorm room first before buying additional furniture and remember most items can probably be purchased at a local store.
- Contact the housing office to check for a list of items not allowed in the dorms such as pets, hotplates, and toaster ovens.
- If the dorms have communal bathrooms purchase shower shoes and a shower caddy to keep essentials organized.
- Make sure services like cable, phone, and internet are set up prior to move-in day.
- Avoid moving during peak days like weekends. Opt instead to move during the week or in the early morning.
- Bring your own dolly to make moving things quicker and easier.
- Plan to buy a small microwave and mini-fridge but check with housing office first to see what is included.
- Parking may be expensive at some schools so consider getting a bicycle for transportation.
- If using a car for transportation at school, notify your insurance company of the address change.
- Move large items into the room first and focus on decorating and arranging after.
- Don’t forget a mini tool kit to help put together furniture or for small repairs.
- If you haven’t already done so, take a small tour of the area to locate pharmacies, grocery stores, restaurants and banks.
If you need help finding the right auto insurance coverage for your college bound teen or want to review your rates to make sure you are not over spending, contact one of our agents today.
Moving away for college is an exciting time and an important milestone. Above all, remember to make it a safe, fun, and memorable experience!