Often times emergency situations arise unexpectedly, and we have little to no time to prepare. Having an emergency kit ready will help you to better protect yourself and your family in any situation.
Some important items to pack in your emergency kit include:
- Drivers license, passport, social security cards and other identification documents. Obviously drivers licenses should be kept with you at all times but you can have a copy of this and other identification documents in your emergency kit.
- Current photos of your family members in the event you get separated.
- Health insurance cards (originals or copies), as well as copies of other insurance policies you have like auto insurance, homeowner insurance, flood insurance, etc. along with contact information for each company.
- Bank and credit card information including account numbers and contact information.
- Medications or medical devices necessary for you and members of your family including pets.
- First aid kit
- Extra cellphone charger, preferably a solar powered one.
- 3-day supply of non-perishable food, water (1 gallon per person per day), baby formula, and pet food and supplies.
- Manual can opener, disposable cutlery and plates.
- Basic hygiene supplies like wet wipes, toilet paper, toothpaste and toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, trash bags, insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Extra blankets and portable fan.
- Change of clothes and shoes for each member of your family.
- Flashlight, emergency weather radio and extra batteries.
Go through your supplies periodically to replace anything that may have expired or replenish items you may have used.
Taking the time to prepare for emergency situations will help you prevent stress and anxiety later because you will be better prepared to face whatever comes your way. Remember to also review your insurance policies to make sure you have proper coverage for unexpected disasters like fires, floods and hurricanes.
If you need help reviewing your homeowner, auto, or flood insurance policies or need to purchase additional coverages, we can help.